Herby Stuffed Tomatoes
- 31 - 60 Minutes
Zesty, herby rice baked in juicy tomatoes makes the tastiest summer dinner. The mix of wholegrain brown Basmati and Wild rice is moreish with a slightly nutty flavour and smoky aroma — perfect with zesty lemon and fragrant herbs. Courtesy of @sarahsveganrecipes.
100g Tilda Brown Basmati & Wild rice
One small white onion (roughly 75g)
2 cloves garlic
1/2 pack dill (approx 10g)
1/2 pack parsley (approx 15g)
6 large vine or beef tomatoes
450ml veg stock
- Finely chop the onion and garlic and add to a saucepan with a splash of olive oil. Stir over a medium heat for around 5 minutes until soft and slightly golden. Add the cooked onion and garlic to a large bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC.
- Add the rice to the saucepan and cover with the veg stock. Leave to simmer for 25 minutes then remove from the heat. Drain any excess stock. Add the rice to the bowl with the onion and garlic.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the tomatoes. Using a sharp knife, gently hold down a tomato with one hand and carefully slice through to make a lid. Repeat this with all of the tomatoes.
- Carefully cut out the hard core of the tomatoes and discard. Scoop out the rest of the tomato flesh and roughly chop. Add to the bowl with the rice.
- Final chop the dill and parsley and add to the rice. Grate in the zest of the lemon and then squeeze in the juice of half. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the tomatoes onto a lined baking tray. Spoon in the rice and gently press down until all tomatoes are full. Put the tomato lids back on. Keep any extra rice to one side.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the tomatoes are soft and rice is piping hot throughout. Serve with salad and any extra rice on the side.