Spiced Basmati & Smoked Quinoa Rice Balls with Apple Ketchup
- 31 - 60 Minutes
- Serves 5
Stuffed with a gooey mozzarella middle and dusted with a crunchy polenta coating, this recipe forces you to up the standards with your snacks. So be a bit more daring and try this different approach to rice balls. Recipe by Anna Hansen courtesy of Great British Chefs.
For the rice balls
250g of Tilda Blends Basmati and Smoked Quinoa
3 tbsp of coconut oil
1 white onion, medium, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
40g of ginger, minced
2 tsp baharat powder
4 tsp ground fenugreek
4 tsp sweet smoked paprika
600ml of vegetable stock
150g of mozzarella cheese, firm, diced into 1cm cubes
100g of polenta
Oil, for deep-frying
For the apple and ajwain ketchup
350g of Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and finely sliced
150g of caster sugar
150ml of cider vinegar
1 tsp ajwain seeds
10ml of lemon juice
- To make the ketchup, place the apples, sugar, ajwain seeds and vinegar in a saucepan and set over a medium heat. Bring to the boil and cook the apples until they are very soft.
- Drain the apples, reserving the liquid in the pan. Place the apple mixture into a blender and blitz until smooth. Add the lemon juice and enough of the reserved cooking liquid to reach a thick ketchup-like consistency. Store any extra ketchup in an airtight container in the fridge for a week or so.
- To make the rice balls, melt the coconut oil in a saucepan. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 4 minutes, then add the spices.
- Continue to cook until the onion softens completely. Add the rice and quinoa, mixing well, then add the stock. Bring to the boil, stir, and reduce the heat. Cover with a lid and cook gently until the rice is tender and the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat, spread out on a tray and place in the fridge to cool for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat a deep-fryer or deep pan full of oil to 180°C.
- Shape the rice mixture into 30g balls and push a piece of mozzarella into the middle of each one, making sure it is completely covered in rice. Dust the balls in polenta and deep-fry until golden and crisp.
- Serve immediately with the apple ketchup.