Spiced Basmati & Smoked Quinoa Rice Balls with Apple Ketchup
- 31 - 60 Minutes
- Serves 5
Stuffed with a gooey mozzarella middle and dusted with a crunchy polenta coating, this recipe forces you to up the standards with your snacks. So be a bit more daring and try this different approach to rice balls. Recipe by Anna Hansen courtesy of Great British Chefs.
3 tbsp of coconut oil
1 white onion, medium, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
40g of ginger, minced
2 tsp baharat powder
4 tsp ground fenugreek
4 tsp sweet smoked paprika
600ml of vegetable stock
150g of mozzarella cheese, firm, diced into 1cm cubes
100g of polenta
Oil, for deep-frying
For the apple and ajwain ketchup350g of Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and finely sliced
150g of caster sugar
150ml of cider vinegar
1 tsp ajwain seeds
10ml of lemon juice
- To make the ketchup, place the apples, sugar, ajwain seeds and vinegar in a saucepan and set over a medium heat. Bring to the boil and cook the apples until they are very soft.
- Drain the apples, reserving the liquid in the pan. Place the apple mixture into a blender and blitz until smooth. Add the lemon juice and enough of the reserved cooking liquid to reach a thick ketchup-like consistency. Store any extra ketchup in an airtight container in the fridge for a week or so.
- To make the rice balls, melt the coconut oil in a saucepan. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 4 minutes, then add the spices.
- Continue to cook until the onion softens completely. Add the rice and quinoa, mixing well, then add the stock. Bring to the boil, stir, and reduce the heat. Cover with a lid and cook gently until the rice is tender and the liquid has evaporated. Remove from the heat, spread out on a tray and place in the fridge to cool for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat a deep-fryer or deep pan full of oil to 180°C.
- Shape the rice mixture into 30g balls and push a piece of mozzarella into the middle of each one, making sure it is completely covered in rice. Dust the balls in polenta and deep-fry until golden and crisp.
- Serve immediately with the apple ketchup.