Chipotle Tofu Rice Bowl
- 31 - 60 Minutes
- Serves 4
We have slathered a sticky, smokey and spicy sauce on crispy tofu. Brown Basmati rice is essential to mop up all those glorious juices from the tofu and salsa. Courtesy of MOB Kitchen.
400g Tilda Brown Basmati Rice
½ Red Onion
1 Tin Black Beans
½ Tsp Cumin Seeds
Sticky Chipotle Tofu
450g Firm Tofu
3 Tbsp Corn Flour
1 Tsp Cayenne
1 Tsp Oregano
½ tsp Garlic Powder
½ tsp Ground Cumin
2 Cloves Garlic
2 Tbsp Tomato Puree
3 Tbsp Chipotle Chilli Paste
1 Tsp Agave
½ Red Onion
Small Handful Of Coriander
1 Green Chilli
1 Corn On The Cob
- Wash your rice well in cold water and pop it on the stove covered in cold water. Bring the rice to a simmer, then cover with a lid and cook for 20-25 minutes until cooked through.
- Preheat the grill to a medium heat.
- Coat the corn in oil, salt and pepper and pop into the grill until it charred and blistered.
- Chop up the firm tofu into 2cm squares and coat in 2 tbsp of your cornflour, cayenne, oregano, garlic powder and ground cumin.
- Add a small glug of oil into a frying pan and fry the tofu on all sides until golden brown for 2 - 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate with a paper towel.
- In the same pan, add a little oil and grate in your clove of garlic. Fry for one minute, then add your tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes until it is a dark brown. Add in the chipotle paste and the agave.
- Mix your remaining cornflour with 1 tbsp water. Pour 250ml water into your pan, then add your cornstarch slurry. Mix well until combined, then simmer until you have a thick sauce. Toss in the tofu and coat, adding a little more water to loosen if necessary.
- Finely chop up the red onion, coriander and green chilli. Dice the tomatoes.
- Combine the tomatoes, coriander, chilli and half of the red onion in a bowl. Squeeze in the juice of a lime and season with salt.
- Back to the rice. In another pan, fry your remaining red onion and cumin seeds in oil for 5-6 minutes until softened. Add in the tin of drained black beans and mix gently to warm through. Drain the cooked rice and stir through with the beans.
- Slice off the corn from the cob and season with salt.
- Plate up the bowls with a bed of rice and then chipotle tofu, salsa and corn. Squeeze on some more lime and coriander, then dig in.