Provencal Stuffed Tomatoes
- 31 - 60 Minutes
- Serves 2
These stuffed tomatoes are packed with sausage meat and our Tomato & Basil rice for an easy French-inspired midweek meal that is full of flavour! For a delicious vegetarian version, replace sausage meat and fennel seeds with chopped peppers, dried oregano and crumble in some feta when you add the rice!
Tildalicious tip: For tomato leftovers: Rub a halved garlic clove over toasted baguette slices and top with chopped tomato that has been removed from the tomato for this recipe, finish with some seasoning and some fresh basil leaves as a tasty snack.
For the stuffed tomatoes:
- 1 pouch Tilda Tomato & Basil rice
- 125g sausage meat, crumbled
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 6 medium tomatoes, with tops cut off and hollowed out with a spoon
- 1 tsp olive oil
For the green salad:
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 little gem lettuce, broken into leaves
- 70g rocket leaves
- Preheat the oven to 240C, 220C fan, gas 9.
- Fry the sausage meat in a non stick frying pan with the onions, garlic, fennel and herbs over a low heat for 5 - 10 minutes, until the onions look transparent and the meat is cooked.
- Meanwhile heat the Tilda Tomato & Basil rice according to packet instructions.
- Add the hot rice to the sausage meat and mix to combine. Season with plenty of freshly cracked black pepper.
- Fill the hollowed out tomatoes with the rice and sausage mixture and place on a baking tray. Drizzle over the olive oil and place in the middle of the preheated oven, bake for 12 minutes or until the tomatoes are cooked.
- Meanwhile make the salad dressing by adding the olive oil, lemon juice and mustard to a clean jar and shake until really well mixed. Place the salad leaves on a plate and drizzle with the dressing.
- Serve the stuffed tomatoes immediately, with the dressed salad.