Butternut Squash and Tofu Thai Red Curry
From Mob Kitchen
- 31 - 60 Minutes
Roasted butternut squash and crispy tofu make an incredibly tasty curry. Hits of fresh lemongrass cut right through the savoury richness for a beautifully balanced dish. Served with deliciously fragrant Jasmine rice.
For the Curry Paste:
10 Dried Chillies
2 Sticks of Lemongrass
1 Tsp Galangal Paste (or Ginger)
4 Cloves of Garlic
1 Tsp Ground Coriander
For The Curry:
1 Large Butternut Squash
400g Firm Tofu
½ Tsp Ground Coriander
1 Large Red Pepper
800ml Coconut Milk
1 Tsp Light Brown Sugar
1 Tsp Soy Sauce
Tilda Fragrant Jasmine Rice, 250g
- Deeseed your red chillies. Then pop them into a heatproof jug. Add 200ml boiling water and leave to soak for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile, peel and roughly chop your shallots, lemongrass and garlic.
- Add your red chillies with the water to a mini food processor along with the rest of your chopped ingredients and galangal. Add a little oil if needed to blend it into a paste.
- Peel your squash, then cut it into large chunks. Cut your tofu into large squares.
- Add your cornflour, ½ tsp coriander and a good pinch of salt to a bowl. Add your tofu and toss to coat.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add a glug of olive oil, then add your tofu to the pan. Fry for a couple of minutes on each side until crisp and golden. Drain on a plate lined with kitchen towel.
- Heat a large pan over a medium heat. Add in a big glug of oil and tip in your curry paste and ground coriander and cook for 5 mins until darkened in colour slightly and fragrant. Pour in your coconut milk, 300ml water along with your sugar, soy sauce and a big pinch of salt. Bring up to a simmer.
- Cook your Tilda Fragrant Jasmine Rice according to packet instructions.
- Add your butternut squash and tofu cubes to the curry sauce, then simmer for 15 mins. Your butternut squash should be tender by this time, but leave it to simmer 5 mins more if it’s not.
- Spoon your rice into bowls and top with your curry. Garnish with chopped coriander and a wedge of lime, then serve.