From Tilda Kitchen
- 31 - 60 Minutes
- Serves 4
Using tender lamb and combining the Basmati rice with cool yogurt enhances the absorption of flavors and spices, making it a perfect dish for entertaining and making an impression.
*Use gluten-free stock to make this dish gluten-free
Ingredients for marinade
1-inch piece ginger—peeled and grated
3 cloves garlic—crushed
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric
3 tsp garam masala
2 tsp ground cilantro
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp black peppercorns crushed
1 stick cinnamon broken in half
Ingredients for dish
1 pouch Pure Basmati Rice
1lb lamb—diced into bite-sized pieces
2 tbs sunflower oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 onions sliced
3 tomatoes with seeds removed and diced
3 bay leaves
2 cups vegetable stock*
½ cup natural yogurt
- Place all the ingredients for the marinade in a glass bowl, mix well with the diced lamb, and chill for at least 2 hours or ideally overnight—remove from the fridge 1 hour before cooking in this case.
- Prepare the rice by soaking it for at least 30 minutes and rinsing well in a sieve until the water runs clear.
- Add the oil to a large, hot pan and fry the cumin seeds until they sizzle. When this happens, add the onion and fry until soft and brown.
- Pour in the lamb mix, add the tomatoes, and continue to cook on a high heat for 5 minutes, stirring all the while to make sure the spices are cooked through.
- Turn the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes to ensure the lamb becomes tender.
- Add the bay leaf, rice, and vegetable stock, and stir and cover again. Then leave on a low heat for a further 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, remove the lid, add the spinach, and stir once. Then replace the lid.
- Let this stand for 10 minutes to ensure the rice is light and fluffy.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt.