- 31 - 60 Minutes
Jollof rice with a twist! Nancy’s Fit Soul Kitchen gives you a Seafood Jollof rice. Jollof rice is a traditional West African rice dish. The rice is cooked in a spicy and rich tomato sauce. This is usually accompanied by a side of chicken, fish or beef. Courtesy of Nancy’s Fit Soul Kitchen.
- 200g Golden Sella Basmati rice
- 400g Fresh plum tomatoes
- 2 Onions
- 1 Red pepper
- 1-2 Scotch bonnet peppers
- 3 Cloves of garlic
- 4 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 Teaspoons rock salt
- 1 Teaspoon curry powder
- Fresh thyme
- 2 Teaspoons tomato purée
- 2 Bay leafs
- 1 Teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 Teaspoons mixed herbs
- Fish & Seafood:
- 150g King prawns
- 100g Squid rings
- 100g Scallops
- 2 Salmon fillets
- 150g Cooked mussels
- In a food processor add 2 onions, tomatoes, garlic, scotch bonnet chilli and bell pepper. Pulse until smooth.
- Add olive oil to a heated pan and pour in the blended tomatoes and onions, followed by the seasonings; bay leaves, mixed herbs, fresh thyme, black pepper, curry powder and salt to taste.
- Simmer for 15 minutes until the sauce has reduced and is deep red in colour.
- Add the rice, 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid. Simmer for another 30 minutes, until the rice is cooked through and the liquid is absorbed.
- For this seafood. In a separate pan add olive oil, then begin adding the seafood mix one at a time.
- Season all the seafood with black pepper, mixed herbs, sea salt, garlic granules and Cayenne pepper.
- Lightly stir fry for 3-4 minutes until cooked.
- Once the rice has cooked add the seafood over the rice and serve.