- 61 - 90 Minutes
Our African peppered chicken is must try with it’s popping red gravy for that spicy kick and delicious grilled chicken. It’s a popular Nigerian dish that your family will love! Courtesy of MOB Kitchen.
- 250g Tilda Pure Basmati Rice
- 1kg Bone-in Skin On Chicken Thigh And Legs
- 2 Tsp Curry Powder
- 2 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Can Of Plum Tomatoes
- 2 Scotch Bonnets
- 3 Red Onions
- 5cm Knob Of Ginger
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Green Pepper
- 3 Spring Onions
- 70g Tomato Purée
- 3 Stock Cubes
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- Preheat oven to 180°C/356°F.
- Coat the chicken with 2 tbsp oil, and massage in the curry powder, thyme and 1 tsp of salt.
- Grill in the oven for 20 mins until the skin is crisp and just cooked through.
- Blend the bell peppers, plum tomatoes, scotch bonnet, 1 red onion, ginger and garlic to a smooth paste.
- Slice the remaining 2 red onions, slice up the green pepper into small thin strips and finely slice the spring onions.
- In a large pot add in 3 tbsps of oil and add sliced red onion, cook for 5 mins until lightly browned.
- Add the tomato purée and cook for 5-6 mins until deeply browned (a very important step, make sure it is a dark red so that it loses the bitterness).
- Add the 1 tsp curry powder, 1 tsp thyme and cook for 1 min.
- Pour in the blended pepper sauce and cook for 10-15 mins until it reduces by almost half.
- Meanwhile, rinse your Tilda Basmati Rice in cold water until the water runs clear. Pop in a pan with 500ml of cold water to bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 - 12 mins until the rice is tender and then fluff up with a fork.
- Then add in 250ml water and add in the stock cube, sugar and 1 tsp salt. Add the cooked chicken and mix thoroughly.
- Leave to cook uncovered for 5-8 mins, ensuring the chicken is warmed through.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking, sauté the green peppers until slightly charred and softened for 5 mins.
- Serve with a sprinkling of the peppers, spring onions and the cooked rice.