Chicken Dum Biryani
- 61 - 90 Minutes
- Serves 4
Try out this delicious chicken version which is sealed with a hot, flaky, pastry lid. Courtesy of Ayesha Razak.
300g parboiled Tilda Pure Basmati Rice
1 lb boneless chicken cubes
1 tsp chilli powder
¼ tsp turmeric
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 ½ tsp salt
2 tsp ginger garlic paste
3 cardamom pods
Juice of half a lemon
1 cup yoghurt
150 ml vegetable oil
150ml blended tomatoes
3 chillies, slit open
Handful fried onions
1 parboiled potato, cut in small chunks
Pinch of saffron in 250ml hot water
1 sheet of puff pastry dough
Black seeds (optional)
- Combine the chicken with chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder, cumin seeds, salt, ginger garlic paste, cinnamon stick, cardamom, lemon juice and yoghurt. Once mixed, place in the fridge to marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Add oil to a pan on medium to high heat and fry onions until golden brown.
- Add the blended tomatoes and marinated chicken. Cook for 5-10 mins until liquid has slightly reduced.
- Stir in the chillies, coriander and fried onions. Once everything has mixed, remove the chicken from the heat.
- While the chicken is cooking, parboil the rice and potatoes.
- Now it’s time to layer the biryani. Cover the base of a pot with a thin layer of parboiled rice. Then top with all the cooked chicken, parboiled potatoes, remaining rice and saffron water.
- Add a few tsps of ghee over the rice and using the back of a wooden spoon, make a few holes in the rice to allow it to steam while in the oven.
- Next, cover the top of the pot with pastry dough. Gently press the edges to seal the pot.
- Top with egg wash and black seeds (optional).
- Place in the oven at 180 °C for 1 hour (tip – after around 25 mins the pastry should be golden brown – cover it with a sheet of foil to prevent it from burning).
- Remove from oven, cut open pastry lid and enjoy.