Rice, Lentil and Herb Salad
- 0 - 30 Minutes
- Serves 4
- 2 tbsp butter
- 100 ml cooking oil, plus 2 tbsp
- 4 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 ¼ cups TILDA Pure Basmati Rice
- 8 tsp flour
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 heaped tbsp brown sugar
- 3 ½ cups cooked brown, green or puy lentils (or cook 275g lentils to pack instructions until al dente)
- A squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- 2 handfuls of coriander sprigs, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 2 handfuls of parsley sprigs, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 2 handfuls of mint sprigs, leaves picked and finely chopped
- Yoghurt or crumbled feta cheese to serve
Heat the butter and 2 tbsp of oil in a medium frying pan (that has a lid) over a medium heat. Once it’s gently sizzling add the cumin or coriander seeds. Mix and fry for 30 seconds then add all but 1 of the onions (set those aside). Add salt, pepper and the sugar, mix well, turn the heat down slightly and fry for 30 mins, stirring 4 to 5 times until they are golden and caramelized.
In a medium saucepan heat 100 ml of oil over medium high heat. In a bowl, toss the remaining onions in the flour then fry in two batches until golden and crispy (about 5 mins), turning them a couple of times during cooking. Set aside on a sheet of paper towel.
Bring 700ml of salted water to the boil in the saucepan. Once it gets to fast rolling boil add the TILDA rice, let it come back to a boil, cook for 3 ½ mins then drain. Add rice to the bottom of the pan. Then mix the lentils roughly with the onions and place on top. Use a wooden spoon to poke 3-4 holes down to the onions (for the steam). Cover with the lid and turn the heat to low, leave to cook for 12-15 mins, stand for 2 mins off the heat then, using 2 forks, stir in the lemon or lime juice, some salt, pepper and the chopped herbs (do this once the rice has cooled if you’re eating it cold). Serve with yoghurt or feta.