Sweet and Sour Prawns with Egg Fried Rice
- 31 - 60 Minutes
- Serves 4
We’ve cracked the code to making the best Chinese takeaway-style sweet and sour sauce. Perfectly served over egg fried rice using Easy Cook Long Grain Rice. Courtesy of MOB Kitchen.
FOR EGG FRIED RICE
- 400g Tilda Easy Cook Long Grain Rice Egg Fried Rice
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- ½ Tsp White Pepper Powder
- 3 Spring Onions
- 1 Red Chilli
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- 400ml of vegetable stock
- 2 tsp sea salt
FOR THE SWEET AND SOUR
- 200ml Pineapple Juice
- 90ml Apple Cider vinegar
- 80g Light Brown Sugar
- 90ml Ketchup
- 1 Tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Cornflour
- 2 Onions
- 2 Red Pepper
FOR THE PRAWNS
- 50g Cornflour
- 400g King Prawns
- ¼ Tsp White Sugar
- ¼ Tsp White Pepper
- 1 Egg
- Vegetable Oil
- Wash your Tilda Easy Cook Long Grain Rice, and pop it in a pan. Cover with cold water and cook for 10 minutes until tender. Drain the rice and allow to cool.
- Chop up the onions and peppers into large pieces. Roughly chop the garlic, spring onions and red chilli. Whisk the three eggs in a bowl.
- Add your pineapple juice, apple cider vinegar, sugar and ketchup to a medium sized saucepan set over a medium heat. Bring to a boil, then let it simmer for 2 minutes until your sugar dissolves.
- In a bowl mix the prawns, white sugar and white pepper powder. Then crack in the egg and give it a good mix. Add in 50g of cornflour and mix well and set aside.
- Heat a good glug of oil in a wok over a medium-high heat. Add your prawns and stir fry for 2 mins until crisp and starting to curl. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
- Add your onion and red pepper to the pan and stir fry for a few minutes until softened and starting to char. Tip your prawns into the pan and pour in your sauce. Give the mixture a really good mix and cook for 3 minutes until it is piping hot.
- Heat up a large wok until it starts to smoke. Pour in a large glug of cold oil and add in the garlic. Fry for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Pour in your eggs and scramble until they are fluffy for 1 minute.
- Push the eggs to the side and add in your cooked rice. Push the rice down to separate the grain. Toss in the rice and add in the soy sauce, sesame oil and white pepper. Mix well so the rice is well coated.
- Finally add the spring onions and chilli. Stir fry for 1 minute so they are well dispersed in the rice.
- Spoon the egg fried rice in a bowl, pour over your sweet and sour prawns and enjoy.