Mexican Chilli Chickpeas & Rice Salad
- 16 - 30 Minutes
A delicious Mexican inspired dish which is the ideal quick and easy plant-based meal. The citrus dressing pairs perfectly with the fiery heat of our Hot Jalapeno Wholegrain rice.
Tildalicious tip: Chickpeas are less well known as an ingredient in Mexican cooking here in the UK but they are commonly used in Mexico. What's more, they're a great source of vegetarian protein!
- 1 pouch Tilda Hot Jalapeño Wholegrain rice
For the dressing:
- 100ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the chickpeas:
- 3-4 shallots (100g), finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 large celery stalks (200g), finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 400g canned chickpeas, drained
- A small handful flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Heat the shallots, garlic, ground coriander, celery, bay leaves, chickpeas and 2 tablespoons of water in a non stick saucepan and cook over a low heat, covered, for 10 minutes until the shallots and celery have softened.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing, add the orange juice, lime juice, olive oil and a pinch of salt to a clean jam jar and shake well.
- Heat the Tilda Hot Jalapeño Wholegrain rice according to pack instructions.
- Remove the chickpeas from the heat, remove the bay leaves and add the dressing. Top the hot rice with the warm chickpeas and add parsley over the top.