Keralan Coconut Rice with Vegetables
- 0 - 30 Minutes
This Keralan coconut rice recipe is served with vibrant vegetables for a satisfying dish, cooked with curry leaves, chillies and mustard seeds for a heady flavour. Recipe by Peter Joseph, courtesy of Great British Chefs.
225g of Tilda Pure Basmati Rice, soaked for 30 minutes in cold water
450ml of water
2 tbsp of coconut oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp white urad dal
1 tsp chana dal
1 pinch of asafoetida
10 curry leaves
3 dried red chillies
4 shallots, sliced
1 green chilli, chopped
100g of coconut, freshly grated
salt, to taste
4 asparagus spears, cut into 1 inch pieces
6 green beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 carrot, diced
4 tbsp of peas
- To begin, cook the basmati rice. Bring the water to the boil in a pan and add a pinch of salt. Drain the soaked rice, add to the pan and top with a lid. Cook for 8–10 minutes, until tender (if you have not soaked the rice, it will take 10–12 minutes). Drain any excess water and set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, chana dal and asafoetida. Leave to crackle for a few seconds, then add the curry leaves, dried red chillies and sliced shallots. Fry until lightly browned.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil with a pinch of salt. Add the vegetables and blanch until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Add the green chillies and grated coconut and fry for 2–3 minutes until coconut is golden. Keep 1 tbsp of the toasted coconut to one side for garnish.
- Add the salt and cooked basmati rice and mix gently to ensure the grains are nicely intermingled with the rest of the ingredients. Gently stir through the blanched vegetables.
- Serve garnished with the reserved toasted coconut.