Chocolate Bean Brownies
From Tilda Kitchen
- 31 - 60 Minutes
- Serves 12
Delicious chocolate bean brownies with pecan nuts and rice flour (yes, that means it’s gluten free too!)
400g tin of butter beans, rinsed and draines
250g apple sauce or 5 apples
2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
3 tbsp cocoa powder
75g coconut sugar (or caster sugar)
Few drops of vanilla essence
100g pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- Preheat the over to 180°C/Gas mark 4 and lightly grease a 25 x 18 cm baking tray.
- Peel and core the apples if not using ready made apple sauce. Roughly chop them and place in a sauce pan with 2 tbsp of water, cook for five minutes until they start to soften and then gentle crush with a wooden spoon until they form a puree. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Place the beans and a splash of water together in a food processor and whizz together until smooth – you are looking for a consistency of mashed potato. Add more water if the mixture looks too dry.
- Add the apple sauce or apple puree and process again for a minute or two, until smooth and well combined.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with an electric whisk, add the sugar in three to four batches, beating well after each addition.
- Add one-third of the bean mixture to the egg mixture together with one-third of the flour mixture and fold carefully. Repeat until all of the ingredients are gently incorporated.
- Add the vanilla essence and pecan nuts and gently fold through. Pour the mixture into the baking tray and spread evenly. Bake in the over for 20-25 minutes – check to see if the brownies are done by inserting a skewer into the middle – it should come out clean.
- Allow to cool before cutting into squares.