Butter Curried Rice and Egg
From Mob Kitchen
- 31 - 60 Minutes
- Serves 4
A quick and delicious butter curried rice using Tilda Basmati Rice. Courtesy of MOB Kitchen.
400g Tilda Pure Basmati Rice
800 ml Cold Water
5 Tbsp Butter
Handful of Pistachios
3 Brown Onions
5 Cardamom Pods
1 Tbsp Curry powder
1 Tsp Turmeric
2 Bay Leaves
2 Tsp Chilli powder
Handful of Mint
- Butter can burn very easily, so make sure throughout recipe a low to medium heat is used.
- Rinse the Basmati rice in water till the water runs clear, then soak rice for half an hour. Once soaked, drain and put to the side.
- Slice the onions and put to one side.
- On a medium to low heat melt the butter in a large saucepan.
- Add the nuts to the butter and cook till golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and use at the end.
- Add the whole cardamom pods and sliced onions in the butter. Add your curry powder, bay leaves, turmeric and chilli powder. Cook for a couple of minutes until fragrant and the onions are tender.
- Now add the soaked rice and stir altogether for 1 minute, making sure the rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan but is glossy and buttery.
- Cover with water. Don’t forget to add a generous pinch of salt.
- Get the pan to a gentle simmer and then cover for 7 mins.
- Once cooked and all the water is absorbed add a tablespoon of butter on top and put the lid back on for a couple of minutes.
- In a frying pan cook your fried egg at a high heat in butter for the ultimate crisped edges.
- Remove lid sand fluff the rice with a fork then stir in the buttered pistachios.
- Squeeze in your lemon juice and season.
- Serve up your fragrant curried rice with a sunny side egg on top and some chopped mint.