From Tilda Kitchen
- 120+ Minutes
- Serves 8
Super veggie dish packed with legumes and vegetables—great for sharing.
2 packs Tilda Pure Basmati
2 tbs olive oil
2 red onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp allspice
1 cup vegetable stock
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 can black-eyed beans, drained
2 cans chopped tomatoes
4 large eggplants
2½ cups milk
⅓ cup spelt or all-purpose flour
¼ cup butter
⅓ cup feta cheese, crumbled
1¾ tbs Parmesan
2 egg yolks
Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF/Gas Mark 4.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions, garlic, oregano, and allspice, and fry on a medium heat for 6–8 minutes until softened.
- Add the stock, chickpeas, black-eyed beans, and tomatoes. Season with plenty of salt and pepper, bring to the boil, and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the rice.
- Meanwhile, slice the eggplant into half-inch rounds. Place in a colander, sprinkle with a pinch salt, and set aside for 15 minutes to drain. Rinse the eggplant in cold water and pat dry with paper towels, then spread onto a large roasting pan. Drizzle with oil, season, and roast for 20 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Warm the milk in a pan over a low heat. Once warm, transfer into a jug, then return the pan to the heat, add the butter, and allow to melt on a medium heat.
- Stir in the flour to form a paste. Start adding the warmed milk a little at a time, stirring well. Once all the milk has been added and the sauce is smooth and creamy, add the feta and simmer for 5 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then whisk in the egg yolks.
- Assemble the moussaka by spooning a layer of the chickpea mixture into a large ovenproof dish, followed by a layer of eggplant. Repeat twice, then cover with the cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake for 35–40 minutes.