- 31 - 60 Minutes
- Serves 4
Vegetable Biryani is a prized dish and a real labor of love, hence it is made for special occasions. It’s a signature dish for gatherings, full of taste and mesmerising aromas to which Basmati rice is key. This simplified version will have a beautiful Biryani on the table in a fraction of the time. You’ll end up thinking of it as a weekly go-to!
- 1 ½ cups Tilda Grand Basmati Rice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup Biryani curry paste
- ¼ cup raisins (optional)
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (such as peas, corn, carrots, green beans), thawed
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Soak rice in warm water for 10 minutes. Rinse in cold water until the water runs clear; drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions have softened, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the bay leaf, cardamom, cinnamon, turmeric, salt and curry paste and cook until aromatic, about 2 minutes. Stir in rice, raisins, if using, and broth. Cover, increase heat and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Uncover, add vegetables and cilantro, replace lid and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Top with the rest of the cilantro and almonds when serving.