- 31 - 60 Minutes
- Serves 4
Tender lamb and combining the Basmati rice with cool yoghurt enhances the absorption of flavours and spices making it a perfect dish for entertaining and making an impression.
*Use Gluten Free stock to make this dish Gluten Free
Ingredients for Marinade
- 2cm ginger – peeled and grated
- 3 cloves garlic – crushed
- 1tsp chilli powder
- 1tsp salt
- 1tsp turmeric
- 3tsp garam masala
- 2tsp ground coriander
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp black peppercorns crushed
- 1 stick cinnamon broken in half
Ingredients for dish
- 120g Tilda Basmati
- 450g lamb – diced into bite sized pieces
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 2 onions sliced
- 3 tomatoes remove seeds and dice
- 3 bay leaves
- 500ml vegetable stock*
- Handful spinach
- 125ml natural yogurt
- Place all ingredients for marinade in a glass bowl, mix well with diced lamb and chill for at least 2 hours (ideally over night and remove from fridge 1 hour before cooking).
- Prepare rice by soaking for at least 30 minutes and rinsing well in a sieve until the water runs clear.
- Add the oil to a large hot pan and fry the cumin seeds until they sizzle, when this happens add the onion and fry until soft and brown.
- Pour in the lamb mix, add the tomatoes and continue to cook on a high heat for 5 minutes continually stirring, to make sure the spices are cooked through.
- Turn the heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 minutes to ensure the lamb becomes tender.
- Add the bay leaf, rice and vegetable stock, stir and cover again, leave on a low heat for a further 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, remove lid, add spinach and stir once, replace the lid.
- Let this stand for 10 minutes to ensure the rice is light and fluffy.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt.