Harissa & Apricot Stuffed Chicken
- 120+ Minutes
A flavoursome and delicious recipe that is so easy that you’ll be making it time and time again. Our Wholegrain Basmati rice is a source of fibre and its earthy flavour is the perfect accompaniment to this tasty dish.
Tildalicious Tip: keep baking or roasting tray on the smaller side to keep the chicken compact and moist.
120g Grand Extra Long rice
1 cup of apricots
Handful of parsley
3 red onions
2 tbsp harissa paste
1 small chicken (approx 1.5kg)
Handful of mint
70g toasted flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Roughly chop the apricots and parsley then finely dice 1 onion
- Add a tbsp of olive oil to a frying pan and sauté the finely diced onion. Once soft, remove from the heat and place in a large bowl
- Rinse rice under cold water till clear, boil for 10 minutes and drain. To the bowl, add in the apricots, parsley, harissa, the zest and juice from a lemon, boiled rice, 1/2 tbsp of oil and season with salt and pepper
- Slice the 2 remaining onions into wedges and place on a large baking tray. Season and toss together to make sure all the wedges are covered
- Place the chicken in the middle of the onion wedges. Season with oil, salt and pepper
- Stuff the inner chicken cavity with your rice mixture, getting as much rice as you can inside the chicken
- Tie the chicken legs tightly together with some cooking string, this will help keep the rice and all the chicken juices inside. Season with lots of oil, salt, pepper and some lemon juice
- Cover the chicken with foil, and roast for 1 hour 20 minutes. Season with oil, salt and pepper, and return to the oven for another 30 minutes
- While your chicken is cooking prepare your dip. Mix together the yoghurt, pomegranate, chopped mint, juice from a lemon, salt and pepper. Set this aside for serving
- Remove the chicken from the oven. Cut the string that holds the chicken legs together and carve your chicken, serving with the rice. Drizzle over each portion some yoghurt and flaked almonds. Finish each dish off with some extra oil, salt and pepper and tuck in!