Yellow Rice (Kaha Bath)
- 31 - 60 Minutes
Yellow rice (Kaha bath) takes centre stage in most celebratory meals as it’s the perfect partner for a wide range of curries. Courtesy of Hafsa Nazaar.
250g Tilda Pure Basmati washed and drained
1” piece cinnamon
4 cardamom pods
1 pandan leaf/ bay leaf
2 tbsp butter/ ghee (I use a mix of both)
¼ tsp ground turmeric
½ an onion chopped
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
2 cups chicken stock/coconut milk/water
- In a large saucepan or you rice cooker, melt the butter and ghee.
- No timing here, simply trust your senses.
- Add the ginger, garlic paste and onions and sauté till the onion turns translucent.
- Add in the Tilda Pure Basmati rice and turmeric and toss to coat in the spices.
- Doing this also prevents the rice from overcooking.
- Add the stock and mix well. Check for salt and add more if needed.
- Cook on a medium flame and once it starts simmering, cover and cook in the lowest possible heat, till the rice is done.
- Rest for a few mins and carefully fluff the grains with a spatula.
- Garnish with crispy fried onions, fried cashew nuts and coriander leaves.