Split mung bean & rice pulao
- Serves 4
Khichdis or khichris are simple, easy meals that are wholesome, filling, easily digestible and, most importantly, soul satisfying. Every mum in India has her own version and young kids always claim that their mum’s is the best! Courtesy of Cyrus Todiwala.
250g Tilda Pure Basmati Rice
120g Split Mung Beans
2 Tbsp Oil or Ghee
1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
2.5cm Fresh Ginger
2 Garlic Cloves (peeled and finely chopped)
1-2 Green Chillies (finely chopped)
1 Medium Onion (finely chopped)
1 Chopped Tomato
1/2 Tsp Ground Turmeric
500ml Hot Water
3/4 Tsp Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Fresh coriander to serve (chopped)
Diced vegetables, added with the rice and daal
Curry leaves, added with the cumin seeds
Crushed coriander seeds, added with the ginger
- Rinse and soak the rice and beans together in some water for about 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/275°F/Gas Mark 1.
- Over a medium heat, warm the oil or ghee in a casserole dish that has a lid and that can be placed in the oven. Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds and in 30 seconds, once they change colour slightly, add the ginger, garlic and green chilli and sauté until the garlic changes colour, about 2 minutes. Add the onion and sauté well until the onion turns pale, about 3–4 minutes, then add the chopped tomato and the turmeric. Sauté until the tomato turns to pulp and almost dries out, about 8–10 minutes, then add the water and salt.
- When the water comes to a boil, add the rice and daal mix and stir regularly until the water starts to be absorbed. When this happens, clean down the sides of the dish with a flat spatula, add some seasoning, cover the dish and place in the oven.
- Let cook for 10–12 minutes, then turn off the oven and leave the dish inside for another 30 minutes or so. Remove, stir gently and check the seasoning. Sometimes, depending on the rice, the khichdi can become dry and lumpy. If this has happened, add some water and stir to get a porridge-like consistency.
- Sprinkle with some coriander, if you like, and serve.