Salted Caramel Rice Pudding
- 31 - 60 Minutes
For the Salted Caramel Sauce
200g granulated sugar
90g salted butter (cut into small chunks)
120ml double cream
1 teaspoon salt
For the Rice Pudding
100g Tilda Pure Basmati
300ml full fat milk
½ vanilla pod split length ways
90g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
60ml double cream
- For the salted caramel sauce, heat the granulated sugar in a sauce pan over a medium heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula.
- The sugar will form clumps and eventually melt into a thick brown, amber coloured liquid as you continue to stir. Be careful not to burn.
- Once the sugar has completely melted, immediately add the butter. Be careful as the caramel will bubble rapidly when the butter is added.
- Stir until the butter has completely melted (approx. 2-3 mins).
- Very slowly drizzle in the cream while stirring – the mixture will bubble when the cream is added.
- Allow the mixture to boil for one minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the salt.
- Allow to cool before using.
- For the Rice Pudding, place the rice in a large saucepan with 200ml cold water. Bring to the boil, reduce to a low heat, cover and simmer very gently for 12 minutes or until the water has absorbed.
- Pour the milk into a separate saucepan, scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod and add along with the sugar. Heat to simmering point over a low heat.
- Once the rice has absorbed all 200ml water add to the milk mixture, rise to a medium heat for 12-15 minutes, until the rice is tender and the milk has thickened.
- In a small bowl beat together the egg yolk and cream, pour into the rice mixture slowly stirring throughout, reduce to a low heat for a further 6-8 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat, spoon into individual dessert bowls or glasses and finish with the salted caramel sauce.