- 61 - 90 Minutes
Come and make this national dish of Malaysia. It's super easy and delicious. The key to making the perfect Nasi Lemak is using superior quality Fragrant Jasmine rice cooked in coconut milk, with pandan leaf and lemongrass to soak in all the beautiful flavours of the dish. Courtesy of @VernaHungryBanana.
For the Nasi Lemak
– 250g Tilda Dry Jasmine Rice
– 170ml full-fat coconut milk
– 225ml water
– 1 stalk of lemongrass
– Pandan leaves, tied into a knot
– Pinch of salt
For the chicken rendang curry
– 1 kg chicken legs
– 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
– 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
– 1 tbsp of red curry paste
– 200ml coconut milk
– 2 tbsp brown sugar
– 500ml water/chickenstock
– Fried peanuts
– Fried anchovies
– Fried egg
– Sliced cucumber
– Sambal chilli
- Wash the rice in a sieve and drain.
- Add the rice, water, coconut milk, salt, lemongrass and pandan leaves into your rice cooker to cook. If using a saucepan, add everything, cover with a lid and simmer for 20 min, or until all liquid is absorbed on a low heat.
- While the rice cooks, make the curry. Sweat the onions and garlic first before adding in the chicken legs to brown.
- Add in the red curry paste and coconut milk, combine thoroughly.
- Add in some water/stock and turn the heat down to low to simmer for around 45mins, until the liquid is reduced and sauce thickens. The colour will darken over time so don’t worry if it looks a bit light to begin with.
- Once the rice is done, use a fork to fluff up the rice a bit. Remove the pandan leaves and lemongrass.
- Serve the chicken with the rice while piping hot, alongside some cucumber slices, sambal and roasted peanuts. Enjoy!