From Tilda Kitchen
- 31 - 60 Minutes
- Serves 4
250g Tilda Pure Basmati
6 tbsp. vegetable oil
6 green cardamom pods
2 cinnamon sticks
2 bay leaves
1 thinly sliced onion
125g sliced white mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
small pinch of saffron
2-3 tbsp. flaked almonds (optional)
- Rinse the rice is cold water until the water runs clears – set aside in a sieve to allow as much water as possible to drain off.
- Heat half the oil in a large pan and add the cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, cloves and bay leaves and stir for 1 minute.
- Add half the sliced onion and cook for 5 minutes, followed by the mushrooms and garlic and fry for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and salt and stir until the rice is well coated in the oil. Pour in the water and bring to the boil.
- After 4-5 minutes much of the water will have evaporated. Stir in the saffron strands, cover and reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting for 12-15 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the other half of the oil in a pan and fry the remaining onion slices until golden brown. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
- To serve, scatter the fired onion over the top of the pilau along with the flaked almonds (if using).