Basmati & Quinoa Pyasam
From Tilda Kitchen
- 31 - 60 Minutes
- Serves 4
Generally eaten at big celebrations, but why wait till then!? Break the rules a little and treat yourself with this sweet and creamy pudding topped with cashew nuts, pistachios, pomegranate seeds, raisins and a sprinkle of coconut shards. And for those with a sweet-tooth, just remember… you can never have too much maple syrup!
100g Tilda Blends Basmati and Quinoa Rice
200ml almond milk
400ml coconut milk tin
40ml Maple Syrup – you can adjust this if you prefer it sweeter or less sweet.
5 cardamom pods (seeds only, pounded to a fine powder)
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp of cashew nuts, pistachios & raisins
1 tbsp pomegranate seeds
Pinch of coconut shards
- In a wide, heavy bottom sauce pan, add the rice, full fat milk and coconut milk, and heat over medium heat. Keep stirring it and bring to the boil.
- Simmer and stir in the maple syrup and the crushed cardamom seeds.
- This needs to cook gently for about 30 minutes. Make sure you stir the rice so it doesn’t stick. If it feels too dry just add a little more milk.
- Test the rice by squeezing it between your fingers. Once it's soft and cooked through the pudding should have a lovely creamy consistency, remove it from the heat and cover with a lid.
- In a frying pan heat the coconut oil and add cashew nuts to toast slightly, add the pistachios and raisins and fry for a few seconds.
- Pour the fried nuts along with the butter over the Payasam with a sprinkle of the coconut and pomegranate seeds, and serve warm.