From Tilda Kitchen
- 91 - 120 Minutes
- Serves 8
This decadent Basmati Cake makes a stunning centre piece for festive celebrations. It’s a great Gluten Free alternative to traditional puddings.
For the cake
200g Tilda Pure Basmati
1 litre milk
125g caster sugar
2 stems of lemon grass, split
300ml double cream
6 free range eggs, separated
For the topping
500ml crème fraîche
Zest of 1 lemon, grated
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Selection of seasonal fruits, fresh and candied
- Blanch the rice in a large pan of boiling water for 2 minutes then drain.
- Heat the oven to 150 C/Gas mark 3. Grease and line a 25cm round deep cake tin.
- Add the balanced rice to the pan with the milk, sugar and lemongrass.
- Bring to the boil, stirring and then simmer until the milk is absorbed and the grains soft, about 20 minutes. The mixture should be creamy but not too stiff. Allow to cool.
- Remove the lemongrass, then mix in the cream & egg yolks.
- Whisk the egg whites until softly stiff and fold into the rice mixture.
- Spoon into the cake tin and bake for about 50-60 mins until golden brown and just firm to touch in the centre. Cool in the tin then chill.
- For the topping, whip the crème fraîche with the zest, sugar and vanilla.
- Turn the cake out of the tin then cover all over with the topping, swirling to decorate.
- Top with seasonal fruits and serve in wedges.