- 31 - 60 Minutes
This stunning zarda pulao (pilaf) recipe makes a wonderfully comforting dessert, full of sweetness and spice, with a little added crunch from the toasted cashews and pistachios. Saffron adds a wonderful golden colour to this celebratory Kashmiri dish. Courtesy of Peter Joseph and Great British Chefs.
- 3 tbsp of clarified butter
- 2 tbsp of cashew nuts, split in half
- 2 tbsp of pistachio nuts, shelled
- 2 tbsp of raisins
- 4 cardamom pods
- 6 cloves
- 490ml of water
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 1 pouch of Tilda Pure Basmati Rice
- 100g of caster sugar
- 1 tbsp of condensed milk
- Heat half of the clarified butter in a heavy-based pan. Once hot, add the cashews, pistachios and raisins and roast until the cashews are a golden-brown colour. Drain and set aside.
- Add the remaining ghee to the pan and add the cardamom and cloves. Allow to sizzle for a few seconds, then add the water and saffron and bring to a simmer.
- Microwave rice as per packet instructions and then add the sugar, condensed milk and reserved raisins and toasted nuts. Remove from the heat and allow to sit with the lid on for a few minutes.
- Stir the rice gently before dividing between serving bowls.