Rice & Peas
- 31 - 60 Minutes
A delicious take on the classic Caribbean recipe, authentically made using Long Grain rice for a perfect, slightly softer texture. Serve with jerk chicken for a tasty Caribbean-inspired dish.
- 50ml vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- Cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp ground all-spice
- 300g Tilda Long Grain rice
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 x 400g tin kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. When hot, add the onions, a cinnamon stick and ½ tsp ground all-spice and cook for 10-15 minutes over a low heat until soft and translucent.
- Add the rice and stir well. Then add 400ml water and the coconut milk. Stir and bring to the boil.
- Add the kidney beans and thyme and cover the pan. Simmer over a low heat for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and sprinkle over fresh coriander.
- Serve with jerk chicken and a cucumber and tomato salad.