Sicilian Cauliflower Caramelized Onion and Tilda Wholegrain Basmati Rice with Rosemary and Pine Nuts
The sweet smokiness of the caramelized onions is great with the spicy savoury flavour of cauliflower. Sultanas and pine nuts are a very Sicilian combination as is cloves. All in all this is a really gratifying bit of comfort food, soul warming in the Winter and just as lovely cold or room temperature as a salad in the Summer.
Difficulty (1-5): 4
Serves: 4-6Download the PDF
- Place the rice into a large saucepan of boiling salted water. Simmer over a medium heat for 25 minutes until tender, then drain.
- While it’s cooking, heat half of the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion. Cook over a very low heat with the lid on for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until really soft and beginning to turn a light golden colour.
- Add the garlic, cloves, carrot and rosemary and continue to cook for another 10 minutes until the onions are a lovely amber colour.
- Meanwhile, cook the cauliflower in a saucepan of salted, boiling water for 7 minutes until really tender. Drain really well in a colander.
- Tip the Tilda Brown Basmati rice into a large serving bowl and add the cauliflower and onions.
- Drizzle over the remaining olive oil and scatter over the nuts and sultanas
- Season generously with lots of salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss thoroughly
Serve immediately or cold the next day
- 200g Tilda Wholegrain Basmati Rice
- 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 600g cauliflower, broken into 4cm florets
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 cloves
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced 1cm cubes
- 4 sprigs rosemary, roughly broken up
- 50g pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 50g sultana