Exclusive Salmon On Paella Rice With Watercress Sauce
By Brian Turner of Turners of Mayfair, London
“This colourful dish is brimming with fresh flavours.”
Difficulty (1-5): 5
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 1 hr marinating
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
To start the salmon:
- Mix together the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Place the salmon in a shallow dish and pour over the olive oil mix.
- Marinate the salmon for one hour.
To start the paella rice:
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and tip in the rice.
- Return the water to the boil and stir well.
- Lower the heat to a fast simmer and cook for 8 minutes.
To make the sauce:
- Melt the butter, and cook the shallots until soft but not coloured.
- Add the grape juice and ﬁsh stock and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Add the cream and bring to the boil, simmer for 4 minutes until reduced.
- Place the watercress into a bowl and cover with boiling water, drain and refresh with cold water.
- Drain in a sieve and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Chop the watercress ﬁnely.
- Add the watercress to the sauce, check the seasoning and put to one side.
To cook the salmon:
- Put the salmon skin side down into a heated frying pan, and cook for 4 minutes until the skin side is crispy.
- Turn over and cook for a further 4-5 minutes. The salmon is cooked when it has lost its translucency.
To make the paella rice:
- Melt the butter in a wok or large frying pan, add the shallots and red pepper, cook for 2 minutes until soft but not coloured.
- Add the seafood cocktail and juice and bring to boil. Add the saffron until the liquid takes a yellow hue, and then add cooked rice and parsley.
- Heat through and check the seasoning.
Serve the rice with salmon on top and watercress sauce drizzled over.
Use ready made watercress sauce to save time.
Replace salmon with any ﬁrm ﬁsh such as red snapper or tuna.
White wine makes a delicious alternative to grape juice.
For the salmon:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 4 ﬁllet salmon, skin on
For the Paella rice:
- 125g / 4oz Tilda Pure Basmati Rice
- 50g / 2oz butter
- 2 shallots, peeled and ﬁnely chopped
- 1 small red pepper, ﬁnely diced
- 125g / 4oz seafood cocktail, fresh or defrosted
- 100ml / 4ﬂ oz grape juice *
- 1⁄2 tsp saffron strands
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped ﬂat leaf parsley seasoning
For the watercress sauce:
- 25g / 1oz butter
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 100ml / 4ﬂ oz grape juice
- 150ml / 1⁄4 pt ready made ﬁsh stock (or cube)
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 1 x 85g bag watercress, large stalks remove