Jollof Rice with Chicken
This popular African favourite originated in the Senegambia region of West Africa among the Wolof people and it certainly packs in a spicy punch! Bursting with a medley of mouth-watering flavours and aromas, this one-pot recipe truly embraces the heart and the heat of Africa.
Created by Tony Mulgrew, Cateys Chef Manager Winner 2018.
- 5kg Tilda Brown & White rice
- 300ml vegetable oil
- 8kg chicken, diced
- 2 Scotch Bonnet chillies, deseeded
- 2-inches fresh ginger
- 6 tbsp garlic purée
- 1 x 2.62kg tin chopped tomatoes
- 3kg onions, diced
- 300g tomato purée
- 4ltr chicken stock
- 1kg red pepper, diced
- 1kg yellow pepper, diced
- 1kg okra, halved (optional)
- Chopped coriander to garnish
- Fry the chicken until it is a light colour then lift out the pan and put to one side.
- Put the chilli, ginger, garlic and tomatoes in a food processor and whizz until smooth.
- Cook the onions in a pan until soft but not brown.
- Add the tomato purée and chilli mix to the onions then add the chicken and stock.
- Bring up to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Wash the rice and add to the pan. Mix well and cover with tin foil and add a lid so no steam can escape. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Take the lid off and scatter with diced peppers and okra, then re-cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.