Jollof Rice with Chicken
Created by Tony Mulgrew, Cateys Chef Manager Winner 2018.
This popular African favourite originated in the Senegambia region of West Africa among the Wolof people and it certainly packs in a spicy punch! Bursting with a medley of mouth-watering flavours and aromas, this one-pot recipe truly embraces the heart and the heat of Africa.
- 5kg Tilda Brown & White rice
- 300ml vegetable oil
- 8kg chicken, diced
- 2 Scotch Bonnet chillies, deseeded
- 2-inches fresh ginger
- 6 tbsp garlic purée
- 1 x 2.62kg tin chopped tomatoes
- 3kg onions, diced
- 300g tomato purée
- 4ltr chicken stock
- 1kg red pepper, diced
- 1kg yellow pepper, diced
- 1kg okra, halved (optional)
- Chopped coriander to garnish
- Fry the chicken until it is a light colour then lift out the pan and put to one side.
- Put the chilli, ginger, garlic and tomatoes in a food processor and whizz until smooth.
- Cook the onions in a pan until soft but not brown.
- Add the tomato purée and chilli mix to the onions then add the chicken and stock.
- Bring up to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Wash the rice and add to the pan. Mix well and cover with tin foil and add a lid so no steam can escape. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Take the lid off and scatter with diced peppers and okra, then re-cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve.