Lapis layer cake and creamy brown rice pudding served with seeded tuile, rice pudding foam and toasted ground Tilda brown rice ice cream.
Created by New City College student chefs, winners of Tilda’s Best Use of Rice Award at Zest Quest Asia 2020.
- 300g butter
- 120g condensed milk
- 1 tbsp rum
- 90g flour
- 1/2 tsp allspice and salt
- 12 egg yolks
- 85g sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 165g sugar
- 100ml water
- 25g glucose
- 125g melted butter
- 250g sugar
- 75g flour
- 125g almonds
- 125g sesame seeds
Toasted Ground Rice Ice Cream
- Tilda Brown Basmati
- 500ml milk
- 240g cream
- 20g dextrose
- 15g malted milk powder
- 1g guar gum
- 1 drop of tamari
- 1g sea salt
- 500ml milk
- 30g sugar
- 1g salt
- Xanthan gum
- For the Lapis Cake - Preheat the oven to 200oC and line tin.
- Batter A – cream 300g butter, 120g condensed milk and 1tbsp of rum at medium speed until fluffy, add 90g flour, ½ tsp allspice & salt. Mix again until well combined.
- Batter B – whisk 12 egg yolks and 85g sugar to form sabayon.
- Batter C – whisk 6 egg whites until foamy, add ¼ tsp cream of tartar and 55g of sugar in 3 batches. Continue whisking until stiff peaks.
- Combine batters, add B into A, mix till well combined, then fold in 1/3 of C then the remainder.
- First layer - spread a small amount of batter on the prepared tin, bake in the oven until golden brown for approx. 8 mins.
- Following layers - spread batter evenly in thin layers, grill slowly, repeat until all the mix is used.
- For the Seeded Tuile - Bring 100ml of water to boil with 25g of glucose, stir in 125g melted butter and 250g sugar.
- Stir in remaining ingredients – 75g flour, 125g almonds and 125g sesame seeds.
- Spread onto a tray and cook at 180oC.
- For the Toasted Ground Rice Ice Cream - Dry roast brown rice in oven at 230oC for about 20-30 mins.
- Place roasted rice into 500ml of milk, let it sit to infuse.
- Bring 240g of cream, 20g dextrose, 15g malted milk powder and 1g guar gum slowly to the boil, simmer, ensure all ingredients are mixed well, strain rice from the milk and add to the cream mix and churn.
- When the mix is soft and gaining texture add 1 drop of tamari.
- When the ice-cream is almost set add 1g of sea salt.
- For the Rice Pudding/Foam - Combine 500ml of milk with the remaining toasted rice, 30g sugar and 1g salt, bring to the boil and simmer, stir regularly.
- When the rice is cooked, strain 100ml of the milk and add Xanthan gum, cool and pour into the espuma gun. Charge with two, shake well, leave in the fridge, shake well again before serving.