Fava Bean and Dill
- 120+ Minutes
- Serves 4-6
Try this delicious Mediterranean-inspired dish of fava beans and dill rice. It's an easy and flavorful meal that is sure to satisfy. Perfect for weeknights.
- 3 cups of Tilda Grand Basmati Rice
- 1 ½ cup of fresh or frozen shelled & peeled fava bean
- Medium sized Bunch of chopped fresh Dill
- 2 Tbsp dry dill (optional)
- 2 Tbsp Sea salt
- ½ cup butter
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 6 cups of water
- 1 tsp saffron finely grounded & bloomed in 2 Tbsp water
- Wash the rice and set aside to soak in salted water for two hours.
- Peel and shell the fava beans. If you are using frozen beans, defrost & set aside.
- In a large pot, bring 8 cups of water to boil. Add 2 Tbsp sea salt & 2 Tbsp oil to the water.
- Rinse the rice and add it to the boiling water along with the fava beans. Let it simmer on medium-low heat uncovered for about 7 minutes, or until the rice has slightly softened but still al-dente.
- Drain the rice in a strainer, pour some cold water over it to cool the rice. This will also stop the rice from sticking to each other.
- Add all the finely chopped fresh dill to the rice, and gently mix until it is completely combined and set aside.
- Melt half of the butter in a non-stick pot over low heat. Add 2 tsp of the bloomed saffron (keep the rest for garnish) and 2 Tbsp water.
- Add and spread 5 Tbsp of the rice mixture to the pot and spread evenly to cover the bottom of the pot. This will become the crispy rice.
- Gradually pour the remainder of the rice in the pot. If you are using the dry dill as well as the fresh dill, then sprinkle them In between the rice in 3 stages.
- Cut the rest of the butter in to 5 small pieces and spread over the top of the rice.
- Wrap a clean kitchen towel over the lid of the pan. Put the heat on high for a minute or so then immediately turn it to medium-low and let the rice steam for 45 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, separate 6 tbsp of the rice in a bowl. Pour the remaining bloomed saffron over it, mix well and set aside (This will make the rice that vibrant yellow color). Pour the rest on the rice in the pot into your serving dish and garnish the top with the saffron rice mixture.