Yogurt Rice With Cucumber, Tomato & Fried Peanuts
- Serves 4
A quick and delicious recipe especially if you have any leftover rice in the fridge. It’s fragrant and delicious, and even if you don’t have any cooked rice to hand and need to start from scratch. This will very simply satisfy your soul and is a great cure for when you are feeling low and don’t have a great appetite. Courtesy of Cyrus Todiwala.
500g Tilda Pure Basmati Rice
1 Tsp Ground Coriander
1/2 Tsp Ground Turmeric
1 Tsp Red chilli
3-4 Tbsp Oil
150-200g Unskinned Peanuts
1tsp Cumin seeds
1 Tbsp White Lentils
10-15 Fresh Curry Leaves (if using dried, soak in water for 10-12 minutes and dry thoroughly before shredding)
2-3 Green Chillies
1/4 Tsp Asfoetida
450g Greek-style yogurt
1 Small Red onion
2 Tomatoes (pulp discarded and flesh chopped)
1/2 Cucumber (cored and diced)
1 Heaped Tbsp of chopped fresh coriander
Salt to taste
- If cooking the rice, cook according to the packet instructions, drain and cool. Refrigerate once cooled to chill completely.
- Place the coriander, chilli powder and turmeric in a small bowl and make a thin paste with the water. Cover and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the peanuts for a minute or so, stirring regularly, then drain in a sieve placed over a bowl. Return the oil to the frying pan and heat again.
- Once the oil is hot and hazy, add the mustard seeds and cover the pan loosely to prevent them from popping all over the place. As soon as they start to settle in the pan, add the cumin seeds, the white lentils, curry leaves and the green chilli and cook until the daal changes colour. Immediately add the asafoetida powder, if using, sauté for a few seconds, then add this tadka mixture to the yogurt, scraping the pan.
- Add the onion, tomato and cucumber to the yogurt and mix well. Stir in the fresh coriander and some seasoning.
- Mix the rice into the yogurt and taste for seasoning. Some people like to add a bit of sugar at this point, but it is completely optional.
- Serve the rice cold, topped with the fried peanuts.