Creamy Pumpkin Mascarpone and Sage Tilda Wholegrain Basmati Rice
If you sometimes find authentic Italian white risotto a bit “porridgey” with its creamy sometimes stodgy consistency, you’ll love this. Tilda Brown Basmati has a really nutty bite to it which goes perfectly with the savoury sweetness of pumpkin. Its wholesome flavour and firm texture provides a wonderful contrast to the creaminess created by the dollops of mascarpone and parmesan stirred in at the end. Use butternut squash when pumpkin isn’t around.
Difficulty (1-5): 3
Serves: 4-6Download the PDF
- Place the butter and onion in a large saucepan over a moderate heat and cook for 5 minutes until the onion begins to soften.
- Add the sage and garlic and cook for 2 minutes more until the sage goes a bit crispy.
- Add the pumpkin and rice and stir over the heat for 1 minute until it starts to stick.
- Pour over the stock and simmer stirring occasionally for about 25 minutes until both rice and pumpkin are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- If there’s quite a bit of liquid left, then drain it and discard it.
- Stir in both cheeses until you have a creamy looking rice mixture and serve immediately with crispy fried sage leaves and parmesan shavings.
- 30g butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 600g pumpkin, peeled, seeded and cut into 3cm chunks
- 200g Tilda Wholegrain Basmati Rice
- 600ml vegetable stock*
- 100g low fat mascarpone cheese
- 25g grated parmesan
- Extra fried sage leaves and parmesan shavings, to decorate
* Use Gluten Free stock to make this dish Gluten Free