Get your kids involved in food preparation, not just in filling their burrito bowl but in chopping, washing, tearing, grating and stirring to help them grow.
Lottie’s burrito bowls
Burritos are a great way for kids to take over and have fun making their own meal. Like other little ones, Lottie the Parrot loves deciding which ingredients she’s going to add to the mix and trying different combinations.
It can be a bit tricky for little hands to hold folded burritos though. So, instead, show your kids how to make a tortilla burrito bowl. Then they can have fun putting in whichever ingredients they choose. Tilda Kids Cheese & Tomato Rice is a great base for this dish – it combines well with the sour cream and veggies.
For burrito bowls for four you’ll need
- 1 can black beans
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can sweet corn
- 3-4 chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 pouch Tilda Kids Cheese & Tomato Rice
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 pinch pepper
- Lettuce, shredded
- 1-2 cups of grated cheddar cheese
- 15 sliced cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cucumber, sliced
- 1 pepper, diced
- 1 pack of tortillas
To make the burrito bowls:
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees
- Lightly spray an oven-proof bowl with oil
- Place a tortilla in the bowl and mould it into a bowl shape
- Put the bowl in the oven and bake the burrito until it’s slightly browned.
- Tip the burrito bowl out and let it cool.
- Repeat until you have enough burrito bowls.
To make the filling:
- Chop the chicken into pieces. Add taco seasoning, pepper and paprika and set to the side.
- Cook rice according to instructions.
- Put 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil into a large sauté or frying pan and heat on a medium to high heat.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook.
- Put the black beans, sweet corn, diced tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, cheese, lettuce and sour cream into separate bowls.
- Once the chicken and rice are cooked put those in bowls too.
- Now you can pop the dishes, burrito bowls and plates on the table and let everyone get started choosing their ingredients and filling their bowls.
For more delicious recipes and inspiration see our recipe page.