Yaki Onigiri (Grilled Rice Balls)
Yaki Onigiri are grilled rice balls and we’ve amplified the flavour with our unique Japanese seasoning. With a crispy crust and slightly sticky sushi rice on the inside, this is so easy to make at home!
120g Sushi Rice
300ml cold water
2 level teaspoons Sushi seasoning
3 tbsps soy sauce, plus extra for dipping
A little oil for cooking
- Add the rice and the water to a pan. Bring to the boil, cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes
- Remove pan from the heat and leave to stand for 10 minutes
- Sprinkle over the Sushi seasoning and stir through
- Leave to cool for a few minutes until you can comfortably handle the rice
- Divide the mix into 6 even portions
- Mould each portion into a triangular shape squeezing the rice well to compact it.
- Add a tsp of oil to a griddle pan. Heat until hot. Place the Onigiri into the pan and griddle for 5- 7 minutes. Turn over and grill the other side for 5-7minutes.
- Remove from the pan and coat both sides with soy sauce. Return to the pan for 3-4 minutes to crisp up
- Remove from the griddle pan and serve with a soy sauce to dip
- If desired the Onigiri can have a filling such as pickled radish or Sushi Ginger. When forming the shapes press filling into the middle and ensure it is well hidden in the centre
- Can also be served with other dips of your choice such as Siracha mayonnaise or Sweet Chilli