Roast Duck with rice
- 31 - 60 Minutes
Chinese Roast Duck is known for its shiny, crackly-crisp skin and succulent meat which pairs perfectly with slightly sticky Tilda Fragrant Jasmine rice.
250g Tilda Fragrant Jasmine Rice
1 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Salt
1 tbsp Five spices powder
1 tbsp Chicken powder
2 Star anise
8-10 slices Ginger
2 tbsp Garlic, minced
1 tbsp Shaohsing wine
Sugar vinegar water:
Big bowl of boiling water
½ tbsp Chinese brown sugar
2 tbsp Red Chinese vinegar
1 tbsp Maltose syrup
1 tbsp White vinegar
- Clean the duck and cut out any extra fat. Seal the duck at the neck with a bamboo stick to avoid the seasoning leaking out.
- Pour in shaohsing wine inside the duck body to absorb, then pour all the powder (five spice and chicken powder), salt and sugar and the rest of seasoning inside the duck body. Use the bamboo stick to seal the duck bottom tightly.
- Dissolve the maltose syrup and brown sugar in a big pot of boiling water, then pour in red and white vinegar. Turn off the stove and place the pot of sugar vinegar water in the sink. Then carefully pour the sugar vinegar over the duck several times until the skin has absorbed the sauce and has enlarged.
- Dry the duck’s skin overnight. Prepare another small bowl of sugar vinegar water and coat it onto the duck’s skin again, do this 2 to 3 times then allow the duck skin to dry.
- Cook the rice following the pack instruction.
- Turn on the oven to 180c, roast the top of the duck for around 40 minutes until golden crispy and then flip the duck over to roast the other side for around 25 minutes until golden crispy.
- Cool down the duck and cut into pieces and keep the duck sauce on a bowl. Serve with a bowl of rice