Hearty Vegetable Stew with Middle Eastern Rice & Black Beans
Created by John Whittle, Chef at Ormiston Horizon Academy.
Transport your students to the heart of the bustling Middle East with this twist on a classic vegetable stew served on a bed of black bean infused rice, packed with aromatic spice and flavour. Fragrant and warming it captures the flavours of the Middle East, bringing the warmth of the desert direct to your menu.
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tsp saffron (optional)
- 850ml vegetable stock
- 900g broccoli florets
- 110g currants
- 110g chopped fresh mint
- 1 tsp salt
Middle Eastern Rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 460g Tilda Brown & White rice
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 4 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1.7ltr vegetable stock
- 850g black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 small bunches chopped fresh coriander (optional)
- 2 small bunches chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- In a large non-stick pan, heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally until golden, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red pepper fl akes, cumin and cinnamon and cook until fragrant, stirring often, for about 1 minute.
- Add the bell pepper, sweet potato, saffron and broth. Increase the heat and bring the liquid to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer, stirring once or twice, until the sweet potato is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and currants.
- Plate the vegetables and sprinkle with chopped mint to serve.
Middle Eastern Rice
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the rice, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne pepper and stir for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and then simmer for 20 minutes.
- Gently mix the black beans, coriander and parsley into the cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper.