Ham, Vegetable & Rice Cakes
Makes approximately 20 cakes
Top Tip: These can be made in advance and frozen
- 400g Tilda Brown & White Rice
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 200g white breadcrumbs
- 160g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 250g frozen sweetcorn
- 3 medium eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Black pepper for seasoning
- Drizzle of sunflower or oilve oil
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the rice and return to a medium boil. Cook for 20-25 minutes depending on required texture. Cool the rice in a colander under cold running water. Drain well as the rice needs to be as dry as possible.
- Boil or steam the sweet potato until soft and mash. Cook the peas and corn until tender and add to the mashed sweet potato. Set aside
- Fry the diced onion and grated carrot in olive or sunflower oil until softened. Add to the sweet potato mix.
- In a large bowl mix the cooked rice, cheese, eggs and breadcrumbs. Then add the vegetable mixture, ham, chopped parsley and black pepper (to taste) then mix together. The mix should not be too wet, it should be dry enough to handle.
- Take heaped tablespoons of the mix and mould into round patties. Place on greaseproof paper lined trays and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Dip each patty in egg and breadcrumbs and then shallow fry on a medium heat for a couple of minutes each side. Drain on kitchen paper before serving.