- 120+ Minutes
- Serves 8
Super veggie dish packed with pulses and vegetables, great for sharing.
- 240g Tilda Pure Basmati
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 red onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. allspice
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 can black eyed beans, drained
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 4 large aubergines
- 600ml milk
- 50g spelt or plain flour
- 50g butter
- 75g feta cheese, crumbled
- 25g parmesan
- 2 egg yolks
- Salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 180degC/gas 4
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions, garlic, oregano and allspice and fry on a medium heat for 6-8 minutes until softened
- Add the stock, chickpeas, black eyed beans and the tomatoes. Season with plenty of salt & pepper, bring to the boil and simmer for 20minutes. Rinse rice under cold water till clear, boil for 10 minutes, drain and add to the dish.
- Meanwhile slice the aubergine into 1cm rounds. Place in a colander & sprinkle with a pinch salt, set aside for 15minutes to drain. Rinse the aubergine in cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper then spread onto a large roasting tray. Drizzle with oil season and roast for 20minutes until browned and cooked through.
- Warm the milk in a pan over a low heat. Once warm transfer into a jug, then return the pan to the heat, add the butter and allow to melt on a medium heat
- Stir in the flour to form a paste. Start adding the warmed milk a little at a time stirring well. Once all the milk has been added and the sauce is smooth and creamy add the feta, simmer for 5 minutes. Allow to cool slightly then whisk in the egg yolks
- Assemble the moussaka by spooning a layer of the chickpea mixture into a large oven proof dish, followed by a layer of aubergine, repeat twice then cover with the cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake for 35-40minutes