Pan-fried Sea Bass on Smoked Salmon
- Serves 10
With a Tilda Basmati & Wild Rice parcel served with a Tomato Hollandaise.
10 x 1-1 ½lb sea bass, filleted, scaled and pin boned
1lb packet of long cut smoked salmon
Pinch of ground cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds, ground ginger and black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
4 large shallots
3 cloves of garlic
1 bunch of fresh thyme
1 bunch of fresh rosemary
2 celery sticks
1 litre fish stock
10 egg yolks (6 for the rice parcel, 4 for the hollandaise)
300g unsalted butter
2 tbsp passata
- For the Rice - Pre heat the oven 180°C/ Gas Mark 6.
- Finely dice the shallots, celery, leek and garlic.
- Sweat down, without colouring, in butter and add the rice, spices and the bay leaf.
- Cover with fish stock and bring to the boil.
- Cover with a lid and place in the pre heated oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until the rice is cooked and all liquid has evaporated.
- Line a ramekin or 6cm steel ring with cling film then with smoked salmon.
- Fold all 6 egg yolks into the rice and check the seasoning. Fill the mould with the rice mixture and fold over the edges of the salmon, to form the parcel.
- Place in the fridge to set.
- For the Tomato Hollandaise - Place 4 egg yolks in a large bowl. Add 2 tbsp of cold water and whisk over a water bath until light and fluffy.
- Melt the butter in a separate pan until it splits and then skim off the white fat, leaving you with the clarified butter.
- Remove the yolks from the heat, slowly add the clarified butter, whisking all the time, until you get a smooth sauce.
- Add the lemon juice and check the seasoning.
- Add the passata and leave to one side.
- For the Assembly - Pan-fry the sea bass fillets in butter and oil until golden brown. Let the fish drain on a kitchen paper to remove any excess fat and then season and squeeze over lemon juice.
- Steam the salmon parcel for 5 to 6 minutes, when hot remove from the mould and the cling film. Brush with melted butter.
- Place a pool of hollandaise in the centre of a warm plate. Place the parcel on top and gently push down.
- Place sea bass skin side up on salmon parcel and garnish with herbs.