Mama B's Chicken Biryani
- Serves 6
We have partnered with The Great British Bake Off star Ruby Bhogal, who has created a special Mother’s Day Dish that celebrates the role food has played in her relationship with her own mum. For every specially-marked pack sold Tilda will be funding a nutrition-boosting meal for a mum in need through the UN World Food Programme. #HelpingMumsTogether
2 cups Tilda Pure Basmati Rice
3 3/4 cups water
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1 small chopped onion
15g salted butter
1 cup mixed vegetables (green beans, peas, carrots)
1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1kg diced chicken (boneless & drumsticks)
2 medium diced onions
1 tbsp olive oil
3 to 4 garlic cloves
3 tsp ginger
½ tin of tomatoes
2 tsp chopped green finger chillis
1 tsp turmeric
2 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp garam masala
Handful of fresh coriander
- Into a medium sized saucepan, add in the chopped onions and gently heat in butter. Once melted, add in cumin, continue to sizzle for 2 mins.
- Add in the mixed vegetables and allow to cook for 5 mins – remember to regularly stir.
- When the vegetables have cooked through, add in salt, turmeric, garam masala and chilli powder. Stir well and add in the water.
- Whilst the water is heating up, wash the rice thoroughly in cold water. Drain the water and add into the saucepan. Stir well, bring to boil, then lower the heat and cover with the lid. Keep the rice on the heat for approx. 15 mins until the water has evaporated.
- In the meantime, let’s get the chicken cooked. Into a large saucepan, add in the diced onions and oil and cook. The onions should be golden brown and translucent before you add in the garlic.
- Grate in the cloves of garlic and mix well, followed by grating in the ginger. Mix well.
- Add in the tinned tomatoes, followed by the green chillis, turmeric, salt and garam masala. Stir well before adding in the chopped fresh coriander.
- The base needs to reduce for approx. 5 mins before adding in the chicken.
- Allow the chicken to cook thoroughly and for any excess water to evaporate. Check temperature of the chicken to ensure it is cooked, before adding in the cooked rice. Layer the chicken and rice gently.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with fresh coriander. Optional: serve alongside a fresh green salad and a raita.