Indian Lamb Koftas with Coconut Rice
These delicately spiced lamb koftas are enriched with classic Indian flavours served on a bed of colourful, coconut infused Tilda rice. Straight from the hustle and bustle of Mumbai’s street food sellers – they’re little skewers of spiced heaven.
Created by Tracy Healy, LACA School Chef of the Year 2017.
960g minced lamb
180g onions, finely diced/minced
3 tsp garlic powder
3 tsp garam masala
3 tsp mint sauce
Salt and pepper to season
3 tsp vegetable bouillon
24 cherry tomatoes
420g Tilda Brown & White rice
300g onions, finely diced
60g ginger, finely chopped
60g garlic, finely chopped
300g spring onions, chopped
300g carrot, grated
60g fresh coriander, chopped
Pinch of salt/pepper
5 tsp vegetable bouillon
4 tbsp oil
600ml coconut milk
- For the Lamb Koftas - Mix all the ingredients together apart from the cherry tomatoes and shape into 36 small balls.
- Place the balls on a skewer, placing a cherry tomato in between each one.
- Cook for about 20 minutes at 180˚C/Gas Mark 4, then serve with the coconut rice.
- For the Coconut Rice - Cook the Tilda Brown & White rice as per the on-pack instructions.
- While the rice is cooking, soften the onions, garlic and ginger in the oil, then add the grated carrot and continue cooking until soft. Add the seasoning, vegetable bouillon, coconut milk and water and reduce slightly.
- Once the rice is cooked, drain and add it to the above mixture, then mix and add the spring onion and fresh coriander. The rice is then ready to serve.