Gulai Kepala Ikan
Created by New City College student chefs, winners of the Tilda Best Use of Rice Award at Zest Quest Asia 2019.
Fish Curry Powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 3 large onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 5 red birds eye chillis
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste
- 4 fish heads
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 250g tamarind
- 500ml hot water
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- Curry leaves
- 250g okra
- 1/2 pineapple, diced
- 2 tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 200ml coconut cream
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1 lime
- 600g flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 100ml coconut water
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4 tbsp condensed milk
- 170ml water
- 380g Tilda Easy Cook Basmati Rice
- 120ml water
- 360ml coconut milk
- 20g root ginger (julienne)
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon bark
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 pandan leaf knot
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- For the Fish Curry Powder - Mix all the ingredients together and set to the side.
- For the Rempah - Process all the ingredients into a smooth paste. Add water if necessary to adjust the consistency.
- For the Fish Head Curry - Wash fish heads well to remove any traces of blood and pat dry. Rub the heads with 1 tbsp of the curry powder and set aside.
- Place the tamarind in a bowl and pour over the hot water, then allow to steep for 15 minutes. Squeeze out and reserve the liquid from the tamarind.
- Heat the peanut oil in a wok and sear the fish heads on both sides until browned, then remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining curry powder and rempah to the wok and fry for about 5 minutes until the oil separates from the paste, then stir through the curry leaves.
- Add the okra to the wok and fry for 2 minutes, then add the pineapple and tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream, tamarind liquid, salt and sugar and bring to the boil.
- Add the fish heads, cover with the sauce, and add more water if it's not enough. Bring to the boil again then turn off the heat and cover the wok.
- Allow the fish to stand, turning halfway, and cook for 20 minutes, then squeeze over the lime juice. Stir gently to combine
- Remove fish, clean, pass sauce, place into warm bowls with okra, place fish head on top, garnish and serve.
- For the Roti - Mix the flour and salt in a bowl.
- Mix in the rest of the dry ingredients, make a well and then add the liquid, incorporate well.
- Knead for 10 minutes until smooth, cover and prove for 30 minutes.
- Knead again and then prove for a further 30 minutes.
- Roll thinly on a greased surface, fry quickly in a hot pan.
- For the Rice - Wash and rinse the rice approximately 3 times ensuring the water runs clear.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well.
- Cook on a medium heat, bring slowly to the boil, turn down and simmer until the rice has gone fluffy, then stir with a plastic spoon.
- Remove from the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes before eating.