Coconut Jasmine & Ginger Brûlée
With thanks to Alex Wilcock and her students at Farnborough College of Technology who created this delicious recipe.
50g Tilda Fragrant Jasmine Rice
10g caster sugar
400ml coconut milk
200ml double cream
2 egg yolks
50g steam ginger puree
100g granulated sugar
- For the Rice - Wash the rice.
- Boil the coconut milk and butter in a saucepan.
- Add the washed rice, stir continuously for about 15-20 mins until the rice is cooked and most of the milk has been absorbed.
- Once cooked add the sugar, remove from the pan and cool at room temperature covered with cling film.
- For the Ginger Brulee - Warm up the cream, milk and ginger puree. DO NOT BOIL.
- Whisk together egg yolks, egg and sugar.
- Pour the warm liquid over the eggs, let stand for 15 minutes to allow the ginger to infuse.
- Strain the eggs and milk and pour onto the cooked Jasmine rice.
- Whisk until all the rice has been dissolved in the brulee mix.
- Pour into flat dishes and cook directly at 90C on the tray for 40-50 minutes or until set.
- o serve sprinkle with crushed caramel and caramelise with a blowtorch.
- For the Crushed Caramel - Boil to caramel, pour the caramel onto greaseproof paper, cool and crush into a powder, sieve and use as required.