Created by New City College student chefs, winners of Tilda’s Best Use of Rice Award at Zest Quest Asia 2020.
Chicken Satay served with a satay sauce, Tilda Jasmine Lonton, pickled cucumber and handmade Tilda Arborio Rice crackers.
- 3cm galangal
- 1cm tumeric
- 5 small red onions
- 8 cloves garlic
- 3 macadamia nuts
- 5 small red chillies
- 1/2 tsp shrimp paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Minced chicken
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 2 tbsp palm sugar
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 lemongrass sticks
- Peanut butter
- Soy sauce
- Coconut cream
- 1 cup Tilda Fragrant Jasmine rice
- 2 cups of water
- 100g Tilda Arborio rice
- 400g water
- For the Chicken Satay - Prepare spice mix – 3cm galangal, 1cm turmeric, 5 small red onions, 8 cloves garlic, 3 macadamia nuts, 5 small red chillies, ½ tsp shrimp paste, ½ tsp salt, 1tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp black peppercorns, 1tsp cloves, ½ tsp nutmeg, blend together well in pestle and mortar into a paste.
- Combine minced chicken with spice mix and ½ cup grated coconut, 2tbsp palm sugar and 1tbsp lime juice, wrap around lemongrass to form skewers.
- Grill over charcoal for 5-6 minutes, turning frequently.
- For the Satay Sauce - Heat saucepan, sauté shallots, chilli, ginger and garlic for 2-3 mins.
- Add peanut butter and stir. Add tamarind and soy sauce, stir well. Pour in the coconut cream and water, stir for 3-4 mins or until the peanut butter has been incorporated well.
- Simmer the mix on a low heat for approx. 1-2 mins.
- For the Lonton - Rinse 1 cup of jasmine rice in several changes of water, drain well.
- Transfer to rice cooker, add 2 cups of water and cook for 20 mins.
- Slice cucumber into thin slices, place into a small ring, place the cooked rice into the ring and press firmly, place into the fridge to chill.
- For the Pickled cucumber - Dice the cucumber into brunoise, sprinkle with salt, toss well and leave to stand for approx. 20 mins.
- Dissolve sugar in vinegar and water by warming slightly, then leave to cool.
- Drain off liquid and wash off salt from cucumber, cover with the vinegar solution, cover and chill in the fridge until required.
- For the Rice cracker - Place 100g of Tilda Arborio rice in a pan with 400g of water and cook until tender and almost falling apart.
- Blend with remaining water into a fine puree.
- Spread the rice onto 1-1.5mm thick silpats, place into a dehydrator at 50oC.
- Deep fry at 190oC, drain and season.