How To Make A Tahdig - Persian Rice
Tahdig is the crispy rice from the bottom of the pot. It’s included in every Persian meal that comes with rice and plays an important role when it comes to dinner time. Give it a try and you’ll understand why! Created by the amazing Hami Sharafi @igotitfrommymaman.
Ingredients (Serving 6):
600g Tilda Pure Basmati dry rice
2 tbsp salt
1/4 tsp saffron, ground
3 ice cubes
1. If you have saffron threads, crush them using pestle and mortar. Sprinkle the ground saffron over the ice cubes. Set them aside to melt. Do this ideally at least 1 hour ahead of cooking the rice.
2. Wash the rice to rinse off some of the starch. This helps make the rice even fluffier. Bring a pot full of water to boil and add the salt to it.
3. Add the rice to the boiling water. Bring the temperature back to boiling as soon as possible. Let the rice parboil 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Transfer the rice to a strainer, rinse it with cool water, then let it drain.
5. Combine about a quarter of the rice with the saffron water until it is evenly yellow.
6. Place a non-stick stew pot over medium heat. Add enough vegetable oil to cover the bottom of the pot.
7. Transfer the saffron rice to the pot and spread it out evenly. Add the white rice on top and poke 3 holes half-way through the rice, using the back of a spoon. This allows more of the steam to escape from the centre.
8. Cover the lid with a clean kitchen towel. This absorbs the steam, resulting in fluffier rice and crispier tahdig! Close the lid firmly, turn the temperature down to low and don’t open the lid during cooking time. Let the rice steam for around 45 minutes.
9. Replace the lid with an upside down plate and carefully flip it over. Here is your crispy, golden tahdig. Separate the crispy part from the remaining fluffy Tilda Basmati rice, cut it into portion sized pieces and serve alongside the fluffy Basmati rice.
More How To’s
How to cook Basmati Rice
Our Pure Basmati Rice is known for its aromatic grains that cook up light and separate – the perfect companion for a wide range of delicious curries.