Balmoral Basmati Rice
By Jeff Bland of The Balmoral, Edinburgh
“This dish is a real fusion of flavours – simply tasty.”
Difficulty (1-5): 3
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 30 minutes marinating
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
For the chicken:
- Place the chicken in a shallow bowl and spoon over the black bean sauce. Leave to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and tip in the rice. Return the water to the boil and stir well. Lower the heat to a fast simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Cook the chicken under a medium grill for 5 minutes each side or until chicken is cooked.
For the rice:
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the mushroom for 2 minutes. Add the onion and fry until soft but not coloured.
- Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock and grape juice and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain the rice and add the rice to the mushrooms mix and heat through. Season with pepper and salt.
- Serve the rice topped with the chicken and garnish with a sprig of coriander.
If you can not find sun blushed tomatoes use either sun dried or even fresh cherry tomatoes. For a more fiery or zesty version add a fresh chopped chilli, lemon zest or chopped coriander to the rice. White wine makes a delicious alternative to grape juice
- 125g / 4oz Tilda Pure Basmati Rice
- 2 breasts of chicken
- 50g / 2oz black bean sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 flat mushrooms, quartered
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 50g / 2oz sun blushed tomatoes, chopped
- 75ml / 3fl oz good quality vegetable stock 50ml / 2fl oz grape juice
- coriander, to garnish