Baked Chicken with a Creamy Pea Masala and Coriander Basmati Rice
By Steven Doherty of The Punch Bowl, Cumbria
“A tasty chicken and rice dish that is easy to cook using Pure Basmati rice, which enhances and compliments the fragrant flavours of this dish.”
Difficulty (1-5): 4
Serves: 4Download the PDF
For the chicken:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200oC / 400oF / Gas 6.
- Lightly flour and season the chicken breasts.
- Heat half the butter and oil in a pan and cook the chicken on both sides until golden brown, this should take about 8-10 minutes.
- Place the chicken on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 10 minutes or until cooked.
To start the rice:
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and tip in the rice.
- Return the water to the boil and stir well.
- Lower the heat to a fast simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- For the pea masala: While the rice is cooking.
- Place the peas in largesaucepan and pour over 500ml / 1 pint boiling water.
- Cook for 5 minutes, drain and place the peas in a bowl.
- In the same large saucepan, heat the remaining butter and cook the onion for 2 minutes until soft but not coloured.
- Add the curry powder and mix well.
- Carefully stir in the cream and garlic and season to taste.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, add the peas and keep warm untilready to serve.
Finish the rice:
- Drain the rice and mix in the coriander.
- Serve the chicken sliced, along side the rice and pea masala.
Use frozen peas instead of fresh ones for an all-year-round meal. Substitute unsweetened coconut milk for all or part quantity of the double cream
- 250g / 11oz Tilda Pure Basmati Rice
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp plain flour seasoning
- 125g / 4oz butter
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 450g / 1lb garden peas
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 tsp mild curry powder
- 284ml / 1/2 pint double cream
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped coriander